2018 - 2019 Military Tax Software
Free and Discounted Military Tax Filing
Specialized Military Tax Software Programs are designed to make tax preparation for U.S. Military members much easier to complete, and generally include a customized tax interview process that asks questions specific to the tax returns for armed force personnel.
Tax Tips for Military Tax Filing:
- Combat Pay received in combat zones is federal tax exempt.
- Earned Income Tax Credit: Military members can elect to use non-taxable pay to qualify for EITC credits.
- Waived Penalties: Military members called to active duty, causing financial hardship, may waive the 10% tax penalty for early withdrawal from an IRA or other retirement account.
- Uniform Deductions: National Guard and Reserve members may qualify to deduct the cost and maintenance of uniforms if they're not allowed to wear those specific uniforms when off duty.
- Additional Deductions: Reasonable required PCS unreimbursed moving expenses, Job Search Expenses for transitioning to civilian life, National Guard unreimbursed travel expenses for traveling over 100 miles away to perform required duties, Charitable donations automatically deducted from your paycheck.
Military Personnel Free Tax Filing Options
The Following options offer free military tax software products that are available to members of all U.S. Armed Force branches.
They include guidance for earned combat pay, and support for taking income tax deductions that are specifically designed to benefit military personnel.
Military families face special challenges with their finances and tax preparation. Today's Military tax software programs offer step-by-step guidance to help armed force service members claim every possible credit and deduction they’re entitled to, and deserve!
TurboTax Military Specialized Tax Software Guidance
The Intuit Corporation, makes financial software products including TurboTax, Quicken and Quickbooks, and also offers the TurboTax Active Duty and Reservists Military Support. This tax software support is designed with guidance from Military Veterans and Spouses to specifically benefit U.S. Armed Force Military Personnel.
The TurboTax 2018 Specialized Military Tax Filing is a Tax Software Support Program that is offered for FREE to many armed force members, and is designed to help them simplify the complicated military pay and benefits tax filing process. It is specifically engineered to help our troops take advantage of special deductions that are instated as rewards and benefits that show the troops our gratitude and appreciation for their dedication and bravery in protecting our nation, Benefits they have richly earned and deserve! More on TurboTax 2018 - 2019 Military >>
Note: filing deadlines, Military personnel serving overseas, may be eligible for a free tax deadline extension when serving overseas.
H&R Block Military OneSource for Armed Forces
Military OneSource from H&R Block offers a free, electronic tax filing service for eligible Military members to help them prepare, save, and file their federal tax return, and up to three state returns for FREE online with the HR Block tool.
This Free Military OneSource version of H&R Block, is available for online tax preparation.
More on Military OneSource Free H&R Block service >>
Eligible Military Tax Software Service Users:
- All active duty service members
- National Guard and members of the Reserve (regardless of their activation status)
- Members of the Coast Guard Reserve activated under the Department of Navy Title 10 authority
- Spouses and dependent children authorized in Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)
- A family member handling affairs for a deployed service member
- Severely injured service members from services noted above
- A designated family member of a severely injured service member that is incapable of handling his or her own affairs
- Medically retired individuals are eligible until 180 days past their End of Tour of Service, retirement date, or discharge date.
Additional Military Tax Software Options
The IRS Free File Alliance Program is a cooperation with participating top brand-name tax software companies that offer free online tax filing options for military personnel to prepare and e-file their federal tax return for free. These participating companies provide this service through the IRS and some may offer free state tax filing as well.
- eSmart Tax Free for Active Duty Military
- FreeTaxUSA Military Tax Preparation
- TaxSlayer Free Military Tax Software
- TaxACT Free Federal Edition
Top rated tax software options help military personnel and their families take advantage of tax deductions that they would normally miss without proper guidance. Many armed force service members make the mistake of using the shortest, simplest form with an estimated 80 percent or more of active service members filing a 1040-EZ. Unfortunately, with this approach there could be many tax deductions they are missing. Don't let this happen to you!!!